1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
I went to my first conference that was (semi) work-related — BlogHer 2012! I also met someone from an online community and another country in person for the first time (Jenn).
2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I did fairly well with my tangible resolutions for 2012, and the intangible will always be a work in progress Overall, I’m pretty satisfied!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
I’ve been sitting here trying to think of a person, and no one is coming to mind. So clearly no one very close to me A few engagements, though.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My dad’s mother, but we’re close in terms of the family tree, not because we were really close-knit or anything.
5. What countries did you visit?
Went to the US again for BlogHer in New York City.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
Stability and financial security.
7. What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Early June — it’s when Thomas and I started talking about making the move back to Calgary. Those were a really intense few days.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Moving to Calgary, starting my job with the agency, knowing when to say when with diving (sigh), going gluten free, cooking (a LOT) more.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Taking photos of events. Big time fail. Same fail as last year, so clearly I need to remedy this. My photos suck lately.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I sprained/strained the side of my foot pretty bad in August, after falling off my sidewalk (seriously). I was also pretty ill after Christmas this year, and that was definitely the sickest I remember being all year. Ick.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
BlogHer tickets — can’t really think of many other big purchases.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Food, moving costs, expenses/bills, the dentist, Christmas. I hope in 2013 there will be no moving expenses line
13. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
John K Samson in Edmonton, BlogHer in August, moving, one of my best friends getting engaged!!
14. What song will always remind you of 2012?
Wild Ones – Flo Rida. Hehe.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you: Happier or sadder? Older or wiser? Thinner or fatter? Richer or poorer?
Happier, wiser, fatter, poorer (heh).
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I’d done more running after I stopped going to the pool. I’m going to be starting from scratch in the new year, but at least I’m going to be starting I also wish I’d done more budgeting sooner, and gave up using my credit cards sooner. They’d probably be gone sooner if I’d realized how to control my money sooner! But better late than never.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Procrastinating, dwelling, feeling guilty for things out of my control.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
I was in Calgary for the first time this year, with Thomas’ family. It was really nice!
19. What was your favorite TV program?
The Office, Nurse Jackie, Mad Men, Big Brother, Teen Mom (shut up)
22. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I really try not to use that word, and I don’t think I “hate” anyone. There are a few less people in my life this time this year than there were last year, but that’s a natural progression and growing apart. No major fallouts this year, thank goodness. I couldn’t handle another.
23. What was the best book you read?
Gone Girl. LOVED it. Or the Hunger Game trilogy. I tackled all three books in a very short span of time.
24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Rilo Kiley, Muse, fun.
25. What did you want and get?
A job, an apartment, a trip, an eReader, SO MUCH TEA, a new iPod from my lovely manfriend!
26. What did you want and not get?
Bags of money?
27. What was your favorite film of this year?
Paranormal Activity 4, Sinister
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 24, and I went out for dinner with my family (Thomas was already in Calgary, I believe? Or working). Then we got the call that my grandmother had passed. Honestly.
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Starting my dental work (but getting the approval for funds was pretty amazing).
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Easy, classic, sometimes lazy and sloppy.
31. What kept you sane?
Friends, family, Thomas, my cats.
32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Meh. Not really my thing.
33. What issue stirred you the most?
US election (anyone else scared by that for awhile?), more Harper cuts to programs I support in my country (sigh), and the by-election in my riding in Calgary.
34. Who did you miss?
My grandmother. I miss her every day of every year. I also miss our family cat — we had to put her down this year. I’ve been missing my family more after moving.
35. Who was the best new person you met?
My new coworkers
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012:
You’re the very best you you’re ever going to be — embrace it and let those who don’t fall by the wayside.